Re: pgsql: Add documentation for the JIT feature.

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgsql: Add documentation for the JIT feature.
Date: 2018-03-29 12:59:55
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

Moving thread to pgsql-hackers.

Simon Riggs wrote:
> On 28 March 2018 at 22:23, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de> wrote:
>
> > Add documentation for the JIT feature.
>
> Very nice feature and most welcome but we should call it something
> other than just "JIT"
>
> JIT means Just In Time, which could be applied to many concepts and
> has been in use for many years in a range of concepts. particularly in
> manufacturing/logistics and project management.

I agree. In some email threads Andres has been using "JIT" as a verb,
too, such as "JITing expressions" and such; that's a bit shocking, in a
way. Honestly I don't care in a pgsql-hackers thread, I mean we all
understand what it means, but in user-facing docs and things we should
use complete words, "JIT-compile", "JIT-compilation", "JIT-compiling"
and so on.