Re: [GSOC 18] Performance Farm Project

From: Mark Wong <mark(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: 马来酸 <cs_maleicacid(at)163(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [GSOC 18] Performance Farm Project
Date: 2018-03-02 16:26:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Mar 01, 2018 at 02:31:08PM -0500, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 1, 2018 at 4:56 AM, 马来酸 <cs_maleicacid(at)163(dot)com> wrote:
> > Hi, my name is Hongyuan Ma. I am a junior student in software engineering in
> > Shanghai.I am interested in the idea "Develop Performance Farm Database and
> > Website".I started developing web applications since my sophomore year and
> > have experience in developing web sites.
> >
> > I took a look at the buildfarm project and in my opinion, the Performance
> > Farm project has three basic functions:
> >
> > User Authentication
> > Upload data (json format or file format)
> > Review the data(may provide search, sorting and other functions)
>
> I might be wrong here, but I think that the problem here has a lot
> more to do with deciding what we want to do, figuring out where we're
> going to get the machine resources to do it, and making sure that we
> don't build something that executes random code off the Internet that
> might've been written by bad people.

I know the git web reference doesn't provide a whole lot of information,
but here is the framework we've been working on for defining/executing
the tests (I've updated the description on our gsoc wiki page with this
reference):

https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=pgperffarm.git;a=summary

And I just realized the pgperffarm mailing list isn't listed on the
postgres mailing list page. That would probably help provide some
context. I'll see what I can do about that...

I've touched base with the pginfra team about hosting the Web site and
database so I think I have that aspect covered.

Regards,
Mark

--
Mark Wong http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/
PostgreSQL Development, 24x7 Support, RemoteDBA, Training & Services