Re: [HACKERS] proposal - Default namespaces for XPath expressions (PostgreSQL 11)

From: Kyotaro HORIGUCHI <horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com
Cc: thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] proposal - Default namespaces for XPath expressions (PostgreSQL 11)
Date: 2018-01-29 09:01:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello. I reviewed this and think that this is in Ready for
Committer stage.

The patch is available here.

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAFj8pRBVUVvG1CXxgrs0UipTziUX6M788z-%3DL9gQvwAB4UGLeg%40mail.gmail.com

The following list consists of the same items in upthread message
as confirmation.

- This applies to the current master HEAD cleanly.

- The code looks fine.

- This patch translates the given XPath expression by prefixing
unprefixed tag names with a special namespace prefix only in
the case where default namespace is defined, so the existing
behavior is not affected.

- The syntax of default namespace is existing but just not usable
so I don't think no arguemnts needed here.

- It undocumentedly inhibits the usage of the namespace prefix
"pgdefnamespace.pgsqlxml.internal" but I believe no one can
notice that.

- The default-ns translator (xpath_parser.c) seems working
perfectly with some harmless exceptions. (Behavior about
context variables and user-defined xml functions, which are not
handled by PostgreSQL.)

- Dodumentation looks enough.

- Regression test doesn't cover the XPath syntax but I think it's
not viable. I am fine with the basic test cases added by the
current patch.

regards,

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi