reducing isolation tests runtime

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: reducing isolation tests runtime
Date: 2018-01-24 23:10:06
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

On the subject of test total time, we could paralelize isolation tests.
Right now "make check" in src/test/isolation takes 1:16 on my machine.
Test "timeouts" takes full 40s of that, with nothing running in parallel
-- the machine is completely idle.

Seems like we can have a lot of time back just by changing the schedule
to use multiple tests per line (in particular, put the other slow tests
together with timeouts), per the attached; with this new schedule,
isolation takes 44 seconds in my machine -- a win of 32 seconds. We can
win a couple of additional second by grouping a few other lines, but
this is the biggest win.

(This needs to be adjusted because some table names in the specs
conflict.)

Attachment Content-Type Size
isosched.patch text/plain 1.9 KB