Re: master make check fails on Solaris 10

From: Victor Wagner <vitus(at)wagner(dot)pp(dot)ru>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: master make check fails on Solaris 10
Date: 2018-01-18 06:40:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 17 Jan 2018 11:33:09 -0500

> Attached is a draft patch to incorporate Victor's slimmed-down test
> into configure. If you have a chance, could you confirm it does
> the right thing on your Sparc machine?

It seems that what it does is not exactly a right thing.
I've applied it to commit 9c7d06d60680 in master and see following

$ ./configure CC="gcc -m64"
[skip]
checking for __int128... yes
checking for __int128 alignment bug... ok
checking alignment of PG_INT128_TYPE... 16
checking for builtin __sync char locking functions... yes
[skip]

As far as I understand your patch, there should be:

checking for __int128 alignment bug... broken

Then in the pg_config.h I see

/* The normal alignment of `PG_INT128_TYPE', in bytes. */
#define ALIGNOF_PG_INT128_TYPE 16

/* Define to the name of a signed 128-bit integer type. */
#define PG_INT128_TYPE __int128

However, make check passes.

There are two things which puzzle me
1. Why test program doesn't detect bug.
If I cut'n'paste it from configure, compile with flags, cut'n'pasted
from config log and run, it returns 1. But configure tells that all is
ok
2. If bug exist and is not detected by configure why make check passes.

We, Marina and I would continue investigation.