Re: [HACKERS] Restricting maximum keep segments by repslots

From: Kyotaro HORIGUCHI <horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: sk(at)zsrv(dot)org
Cc: michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com, andres(at)anarazel(dot)de, peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Restricting maximum keep segments by repslots
Date: 2018-01-15 06:05:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello,

At Thu, 11 Jan 2018 12:55:27 +0300, Sergei Kornilov <sk(at)zsrv(dot)org> wrote in <2798121515664527(at)web40g(dot)yandex(dot)ru>
> Hello
>
> >> patch -p1 gives some "Stripping trailing CRs from patch"
> >> messages for me, but applied to current HEAD and builds. After
> >
> > Hmm. I wonder why I get that complaint so often. (It's rather
> > common? or caused by the MIME format of my mail?) I'd say with
> > confidence that it is because you retrieved the patch file on
> > Windows mailer.
> I use Debian and web based mailer. Hm, i wget patches from links here https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/20180111.155910.26212237.horiguchi.kyotaro%40lab.ntt.co.jp - applies clean both last and previous messages. Its strange.

Thanks for the information. The cause I suppose is that *I*
attached the files in *text* MIME type. I taught my mailer
application to use "Application/Octet-stream" instead and that
should make most (or all) people here happy.

> Updated patches builds ok, but i found one failed test in make check-world: contrib/test_decoding/sql/ddl.sql at the end makes SELECT * FROM pg_replication_slots; which result of course was changed

Mmm. Good catch. check-world (contribs) was out of my sight.
It is fixed locally.

> And i still have no better ideas for naming. I think on something like
> if (min_keep_lsn <= restart_lsn)
> if (active_pid != 0)
> status = "streaming";
> else
> status = "keeping";
> else
> status = "may_lost";
> This duplicates an existing active field, but I think it's useful as slot status description.
> wal_status streaming/keeping/lost/unknown as described in docs patch is also acceptable for me. Maybe anyone else has better idea?

I'll fix this after the discussion.

regards,

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi