Re: Contributing with code

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: Antonio Belloni <abelloni(at)rioservice(dot)com>
Cc: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Contributing with code
Date: 2018-01-05 13:56:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Antonio Belloni wrote:
> Sorry, but I did not want to start a flaming war against the TODO list with
> my first message. In all the other open source projects I have contributed
> code, the TODO list is always a start point to newcomers. There's no
> explicit message in the Postgresql TODO list saying that the projects there
> are hard, stuck or undesirable. So it's very confusing to a newbie who just
> want to help and try to learn something in the process.

Yeah. In this project, the tendency is that when things are
straightforward, they get implemented rather than documented. So there
are no tasks that are known and also easy, because they are taken as
soon as somebody thinks of them. They only get documented once someone
tries to implement one and realizes it was not as easy as it seemed.

> And now I don't know If I should continue to work on the issue on my first
> message and post my ideas on the list, or if I should find other ways to
> contribute, for example, fixing bugs from the bug list.

Fixing bugs is a very good way to learn the system.