Re: Reproducible builds: genbki.pl vs schemapg.h

From: Christoph Berg <christoph(dot)berg(at)credativ(dot)de>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Reproducible builds: genbki.pl vs schemapg.h
Date: 2017-12-16 15:16:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Re: Tom Lane 2017-12-16 <5525(dot)1513381145(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>

> I'm fairly confused by this claim. Since the string in question is in a
> comment, it really shouldn't affect built binaries at all. I can believe
> that it would affect the non-binary contents of the finished package,

"Binary" in that context was the .deb package file (in contrast to the
.dsc source package).

> In my build, neither one of these files contains any path information;
> I speculate that you need to use a VPATH build to have an issue, or
> maybe Debian's build environment does something even weirder.

This is a VPATH build, yes.

> > It's not like $0 instead of a hardcoded name in the header actually buys
> > us anything afaict.
>
> Agreed so far as the script name goes. However, two out of three of these
> scripts also print their input file names, and I'm suspicious that that
> output is also gonna change in a VPATH build. I'm a little less inclined
> to buy the claim that we're not losing anything if we suppress that :-(

Well, patching this instance of $0 would fix a binary-package
variation in practise. Of course there might be more issues waiting to
come into effect, but I don't see why that would be an argument
against fixing the current issue.

Christoph
--
Senior Berater, Tel.: +49 2166 9901 187
credativ GmbH, HRB Mönchengladbach 12080, USt-ID-Nummer: DE204566209