Re: [HACKERS] Custom compression methods

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Ildus Kurbangaliev <i(dot)kurbangaliev(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Ildar Musin <i(dot)musin(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Custom compression methods
Date: 2017-11-30 20:51:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tomas Vondra wrote:

> On 11/30/2017 04:20 PM, Ildus Kurbangaliev wrote:

> > CREATE COMPRESSION METHOD ts1 FOR tsvector HANDLER
> > tsvector_compression_handler;
>
> Understood. Good to know you've considered it, and I agree it doesn't
> need to be there from the start (which makes the patch simpler).

Just passing by, but wouldn't this fit in the ACCESS METHOD group of
commands? So this could be simplified down to
CREATE ACCESS METHOD ts1 TYPE COMPRESSION
we have that for indexes and there are patches flying for heap storage,
sequences, etc. I think that's simpler than trying to invent all new
commands here. Then (in a future patch) you can use ALTER TYPE to
define compression for that type, or even add a column-level option to
reference a specific compression method.