Re: Add PGDLLIMPORT lines to some variables

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Brian Cloutier <brian(at)citusdata(dot)com>
Cc: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Add PGDLLIMPORT lines to some variables
Date: 2017-11-20 20:02:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

Please quote properly on postgres mailing lists... We're old school [tm].

On 2017-11-20 11:58:44 -0800, Brian Cloutier wrote:
> > please, append session_timezone to your list
>
> Here's a v2 patch which also includes session_timezone.
>
> Separately, is this the kind of thing which is eligible for backporting
> into the next releases of 9.6 and 10?

I don't think we quite have an established protocol for this. I
personally, but I'm biased in this specific case, is that we should
adopt a position that PGDLLIMPORTs should basically backpatched whenever
a credible extension even halfway reasonably requires it. There's no
easy way to get this done by default, and we're so far unwilling to just
slap this onto every variable. So to not further disadvantage people
force dto live in the MS environment, that seems the sanest
solution. It's not like these are high risk.

- Andres