Re: Fix number skipping in to_number

From: Nathan Wagner <nw+pg(at)hydaspes(dot)if(dot)org>
To: Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Oliver Ford <ojford(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Fix number skipping in to_number
Date: 2017-09-25 00:52:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Aug 17, 2017 at 12:33:02PM +0100, Oliver Ford wrote:

> Ok I've made that change in the attached v3. I'm not sure as I'm on
> en_US.UTF-8 locale too. Maybe something Windows specific?

This patch applies against master (8485a25a), compiles, and
passes a make check.

I tested both on my mac laptop, and my linux server.

If we want this patch, I'd say it's ready for committer. We may want
(and I can't believe I'm saying this) more discussion as to exactly what
the strategy for to_number() (and friends) is. Do we want to duplicate
Oracle's functionality, or do we want a similar function to do similar
things, without necessarily having a goal of identical behavior to
oracle?

For myself, I pretty much never use the to_date, to_number, or
to_timestamp functions except when porting oracle code. I do use the
to_char functions on occasion. If strftime were available, I probably
wouldn't use them.

I would commit this patch and update the TODO with a goal of making
to_number as Oracle compatible as is reasonable.

--
nw