Re: Trouble with amcheck

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>
Cc: Douglas Doole <dougdoole(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Trouble with amcheck
Date: 2017-09-15 01:31:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Peter, Douglas,

* Peter Geoghegan (pg(at)bowt(dot)ie) wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 14, 2017 at 5:03 PM, Douglas Doole <dougdoole(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> > I just cloned PostgreSQL to a new machine today (Ubuntu 17.04). "make
> > install" and "make check-world" run fine but "make installcheck-world" is
> > having trouble with amcheck:
> >
> > In contrib/amcheck/results:
> >
> > CREATE EXTENSION amcheck;
> > ERROR: could not open extension control file
> > "/home/doole/pgCommunity/install/share/postgresql/extension/amcheck.control":
> > No such file or directory
> >
> > I expect I'm missing something in the machine set up, but I'm stumped as to
> > what.
>
> I think you need to build and install contrib, so that it is available
> to the server that you're running an installcheck against. amcheck is
> alphabetically first among contrib modules that have tests, IIRC.

Yes, I was working with someone earlier today who ran into exactly the
same issue. If you don't 'make world' or make the individual contrib
modules, then 'make installcheck-world' isn't going to work.

I do think it'd be nice if we could provide a better error message in
such a case..

Thanks!

Stephen