Updating line length guidelines

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Updating line length guidelines
Date: 2017-08-20 14:49:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

We currently still have the guideline that code should fit into an 80
character window. But an increasing amount of the code, and code
submissions, don't adhere to that (e.g. copy.c, which triggered me to
write this email). And I mean outside of accepted "exceptions" like
error messages. And there's less need for such a relatively tight limit
these days. Perhaps we should up the guideline to 90 or 100 chars?

Greetings,

Andres Freund