Documentation about pg_stat_bgwriter

From: Kyotaro HORIGUCHI <horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Documentation about pg_stat_bgwriter
Date: 2017-05-10 08:38:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi. While I read the documentation I found the following
description about some columns in pg_stat_bgwriter.

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/static/monitoring-stats.html#pg-stat-bgwriter-view

This table shows cluster-global values, not per-backend values.

> maxwritten_clean:
> Number of times the background writer stopped a cleaning scan
> because it had written too many buffers
> buffers_backend:
> Number of buffers written directly by a backend
> buffers_backend_fsync:
> Number of times a backend had to execute its own fsync call
> (normally the background writer handles those even when the
> backend does its own write)

Since the values are the summary in a cluster, the 'a backend's
in the last two seems wrong *to me*. I suppose the 'a backend'
should be just 'backends' or 'backends other than the background
writer' (This seems a bit verbose.).

regards,

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi