Re: snapbuild woes

From: Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Petr Jelinek <petr(dot)jelinek(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Erik Rijkers <er(at)xs4all(dot)nl>, David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: snapbuild woes
Date: 2017-04-29 21:42:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Apr 21, 2017 at 10:34:58PM -0700, Andres Freund wrote:
> I've a bunch of tests, but I don't quite know whether we can expose all
> of them via classical tests. There are several easy ones that I
> definitely want to add (import "empty" snapshot; import snapshot with
> running xacts; create snapshot, perform some ddl, import snapshot,
> perform some ddl, check things work reasonably crazy), but there's
> enough others that are just probabilistic. I was wondering about adding
> a loop that simply runs for like 30s and then quits or such, but who
> knows.

If the probabilistic test catches the bug even 5% of the time in typical
configurations, the buildfarm will rapidly identify any regression. I'd
choose a 7s test that detects the bug 5% of the time over a 30s test that
detects it 99% of the time. (When I wrote src/bin/pgbench/t/001_pgbench.pl
for a probabilistic bug, I sized that test to finish in 1s and catch its bug
half the time. In its case, only two buildfarm members were able to
demonstrate the original bug, so 5% detection would have been too low.)