Re: Statement timeout behavior in extended queries

From: Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: andres(at)anarazel(dot)de
Cc: ishii(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp, tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)jp(dot)fujitsu(dot)com, david(at)fetter(dot)org, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Statement timeout behavior in extended queries
Date: 2017-04-05 01:22:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>> What's your point of the question? What kind of problem do you expect
>> if the timeout starts only once at the first parse meesage out of
>> bunch of parse messages?
>
> It's perfectly valid to send a lot of Parse messages without
> interspersed Sync or Bind/Execute message. There'll be one timeout
> covering all of those Parse messages, which can thus lead to a timeout,
> even though nothing actually takes long individually.

Hmm. IMO, that could happen even with the current statement timeout
implementation as well.

Or we could start/stop the timeout in exec_execute_message()
only. This could avoid the problem above. Also this is more consistent
with log_duration/log_min_duration_statement behavior than now.

Best regards,
--
Tatsuo Ishii
SRA OSS, Inc. Japan