Re: Create replication slot in pg_basebackup if requested and not yet present

From: Michael Banck <michael(dot)banck(at)credativ(dot)de>
To: Arthur Zakirov <a(dot)zakirov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Create replication slot in pg_basebackup if requested and not yet present
Date: 2017-03-20 16:32:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On Mon, Mar 20, 2017 at 02:42:32PM +0300, Arthur Zakirov wrote:
> Also maybe it would be good if pg_basebackup had a way to drop created slot.
> Although "drop slot" is not related with concept of automatically created
> slots, it will good if user will have a way to drop slots.

If you want to drop the slot after basebackup finishes you'd just use a
temporary slot (i.e. the default), or am I understanding your use-case
incorrectly?

I assumed the primary use-case for creating a non-temporary slot is to
keep it around while the standby is active.

Michael

--
Michael Banck
Projektleiter / Senior Berater

credativ GmbH, HRB Mönchengladbach 12080
USt-ID-Nummer: DE204566209
Trompeterallee 108, 41189 Mönchengladbach