Re: ANALYZE command progress checker

From: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: vinayak <Pokale_Vinayak_q3(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ANALYZE command progress checker
Date: 2017-03-01 18:20:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Mar 01, 2017 at 09:45:40AM -0500, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> On 2/28/17 04:24, vinayak wrote:
> > The view provides the information of analyze command progress details as
> > follows
> > postgres=# \d pg_stat_progress_analyze
> > View "pg_catalog.pg_stat_progress_analyze"
>
> Hmm, do we want a separate "progress" system view for every kind of
> command? What if someone comes up with a progress checker for CREATE
> INDEX, REINDEX, CLUSTER, etc.?

Some kind of design for progress seems like a good plan. Some ideas:

- System view(s)

This has the advantage of being shown to work at least to a PoC by
this patch, and is similar to extant system views like
pg_stat_activity in the sense of capturing a moment in time.

- NOTIFY

Event-driven model as opposed to a polling one. This is
attractive on efficiency grounds, less so on reliability ones.

- Something added to the wire protocol

More specialized, limits the information to the session where the
command was issued

- Other things not named here

Best,
David.