Re: Patch: Write Amplification Reduction Method (WARM)

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Pavan Deolasee <pavan(dot)deolasee(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Jaime Casanova <jaime(dot)casanova(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Haribabu Kommi <kommi(dot)haribabu(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Patch: Write Amplification Reduction Method (WARM)
Date: 2017-02-23 15:51:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Jan 31, 2017 at 04:52:39PM +0530, Pavan Deolasee wrote:
> The other critical bug I found, which unfortunately exists in the master too,
> is the index corruption during CIC. The patch includes the same fix that I've
> proposed on the other thread. With these changes, WARM stress is running fine
> for last 24 hours on a decently powerful box. Multiple CREATE/DROP INDEX cycles
> and updates via different indexed columns, with a mix of FOR SHARE/UPDATE and
> rollbacks did not produce any consistency issues. A side note: while
> performance measurement wasn't a goal of stress tests, WARM has done about 67%
> more transaction than master in 24 hour period (95M in master vs 156M in WARM
> to be precise on a 30GB table including indexes). I believe the numbers would
> be far better had the test not dropping and recreating the indexes, thus
> effectively cleaning up all index bloats. Also the table is small enough to fit
> in the shared buffers. I'll rerun these tests with much larger scale factor and
> without dropping indexes.

Thanks for setting up the test harness. I know it is hard but
in this case it has found an existing bug and given good performance
numbers. :-)

I have what might be a supid question. As I remember, WARM only allows
a single index-column change in the chain. Why are you seeing such a
large performance improvement? I would have thought it would be that
high if we allowed an unlimited number of index changes in the chain.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com

+ Ancient Roman grave inscription +