Re: Packages: Again

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Packages: Again
Date: 2017-01-11 19:42:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Jan 11, 2017 at 08:32:53PM +0100, Pavel Stehule wrote:
> Now I work on migration about 500K rows - and it is terrible work. It is 20
> years old project - lot of code is not clean, It is hard to migrate, it is hard
> to clean. Sure, there is not one line of tests.
>
> If we miss some, then it is modern robust tool for migration - big thanks to
> ora2pg maintainers and developers - without it, there is nothing free.

I think we need to focus on things that _can't_ be done first, rather
than things that require porting, e.g. until we had savepoints, you
couldn't migrate an application that needed it. It wasn't a question of
porting --- there was just no way to port it.

Those _missing_ pieces should be a priority.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com

+ Ancient Roman grave inscription +