Skipping PgStat_FunctionCallUsage for many expressions

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Skipping PgStat_FunctionCallUsage for many expressions
Date: 2016-11-26 04:12:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

while working on my faster expression evaluation stuff I noticed that a
lot of expression types that call functions don't call the necessary
functions to make track_functions work.

ExecEvalFunc/ExecEvalOper (via ExecMakeFunctionResultNoSets) call
pgstat_init_function_usage/pgstat_end_function_usage, but others like
ExecEvalRowCompare, ExecEvalMinMax, ExecEvalNullIf, ExecEvalDistinct,
ExecEvalScalarArrayOp (and indirectly ExecEvalArrayCoerceExpr) don't.

Similarly InvokeFunctionExecuteHook isn't used very thoroughly.

Are these worth fixing? I suspect yes. If so, do we want to backpatch?

- Andres