Re: Patch to implement pg_current_logfile() function

From: "Karl O(dot) Pinc" <kop(at)meme(dot)com>
To: Gilles Darold <gilles(dot)darold(at)dalibo(dot)com>
Cc: Christoph Berg <myon(at)debian(dot)org>, Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Shulgin, Oleksandr" <oleksandr(dot)shulgin(at)zalando(dot)de>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Patch to implement pg_current_logfile() function
Date: 2016-11-03 23:34:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, 31 Oct 2016 09:26:27 +0100
Gilles Darold <gilles(dot)darold(at)dalibo(dot)com> wrote:

> Le 30/10/2016 à 08:04, Karl O. Pinc a écrit :

> > Have you given any thought to my proposal to change
> > CURRENT_LOG_FILENAME to LOG_METAINFO_FILE?
> Yes, I don't think the information logged in this file are kind of
> meta information and CURRENT_LOG_FILENAME seems obvious.

To me, the CURRENT_LOG_FILENAME symbol should contain the name
of the current log file. It does not. The CURRENT_LOG_FILENAME symbol
holds the name of the file which itself contains the name of
the log file(s) being written, plus the log file
structure of each log file.

IMO, the name of the log files being written, as well as
the type of data structure written into each log file,
are meta-information about the logging data. So maybe
the right name is LOG_METAINFO_DATAFILE.

If you're not happy with making this change that's fine.
If not, I'd like to make mention of the symbol name to
the committers.

Regards,

Karl <kop(at)meme(dot)com>
Free Software: "You don't pay back, you pay forward."
-- Robert A. Heinlein