Re: Suggestions for first contribution?

From: Aleksander Alekseev <a(dot)alekseev(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
To: Christian Convey <christian(dot)convey(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Suggestions for first contribution?
Date: 2016-09-06 08:20:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello, Christian

> Can anyone suggest a project for my first PG contribution?

In my experience good starting points are:

* Doing code review. It's really important for PostgreSQL project.
Everyone likes to write code, no one likes to read or test it :)
* Finding typos, there are a lot of them.
* Finding bugs: static code analysis, sanitizers, etc. Also subscribe to
pgsql-bugs@ mailing list.
* Fixing bottlenecks. Tricky part here is to find one. Could be
difficult unless you are working for a company with many clients or
maintain a project that uses PostgreSQL.

Also please note that such activity as answering questions on IRC or in
pgsql-general@, highlighting project news in your blog, writing articles
(or maybe even a book) about PostgreSQL internals, organizing local user
group, etc - all of this are very significant contributions.

Good luck!

--
Best regards,
Aleksander Alekseev