Re: Parallel build with MSVC

From: Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>
To: Christian Ullrich <chris(at)chrullrich(dot)net>
Subject: Re: Parallel build with MSVC
Date: 2016-09-05 00:18:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Apr 27, 2016 at 08:15:05AM +0000, Christian Ullrich wrote:
> * From: Michael Paquier [mailto:michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com]
>
> > On Wed, Apr 27, 2016 at 4:06 PM, Christian Ullrich <chris(at)chrullrich(dot)net>
> > wrote:
>
> > > * From: Michael Paquier [mailto:michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com]

> > > Good point, but I have no installation of 2008 around, so I cannot test
> > > it. Perhaps there is someone around who could do that (just add the
> > > $msbflags as the first argument to vcbuild)?
> >
> > I forgot that I have actually one! Bumping my Win7 VM CPU from 1 to 2,
> > and using VS2008 command prompt with vcbuild /m I am not seeing
> > issues. Moving symbols.out would be the main issue, but I am not
> > noticing problems related to that.
>
> OK then, hopefully last round attached.

Every vcbuild and msbuild invocation ought to recognize this variable, so
please update the two places involving ecpg_regression.proj. Apart from that,
the patch looks good.

I was tempted to back-patch this. The risk to back branch users seems
negligible, and it would be convenient for me as a person who builds all
branches. That reason is not good enough, so I plan not to back-patch. I
feel like I might be missing a stronger reason to back-patch.