BUG #14207: A little is lacking to be the most advanced

From: ugostray(at)list(dot)ru
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: BUG #14207: A little is lacking to be the most advanced
Date: 2016-06-22 03:14:30
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bug reference: 14207
Logged by: Eugene Quanger
Email address: ugostray(at)list(dot)ru
PostgreSQL version: 9.4.4
Operating system: Win7Pro64

Please add AFTER to alter table add column syntax. Of course all the columns
should be listed in insert statement and stuff, but sometimes(as for me it's
all the time) for human being, who read the database with his eyes it is
comfortable to have columns in certain order, the column order doesn't
matter only for the machine. I moved to PostgreSQL from MySQL and I really
miss this feature. I thought "most advanced" is meant to suit all users.
Demand should create supply. Creating another table with additional column
and re-inserting all the data from old table to a new one is not a very
elegant solution. I can't help disliking PostgreSQL because of that. What's
wrong if you will implement a feature that will make people to like this DB
Engine even more! It's trifle but very pleasing!

And by the way I also miss SHOW CREATE TABLE(I know how to workaround with
this, but a small shortcut that you always remember and can use it in
between is also trifle but very pleasing. It's like you say to your home
robot - "get me cuppa coffee", and don't care 'bout anything you can be sure
he'll get it done)