Re: Perf Benchmarking and regression.

From: Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Ashutosh Sharma <ashu(dot)coek88(at)gmail(dot)com>, Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>, Mithun Cy <mithun(dot)cy(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Perf Benchmarking and regression.
Date: 2016-06-04 00:41:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Jun 03, 2016 at 03:17:06PM -0400, Robert Haas wrote:

> >> I think that's the right course of action. I wasn't arguing for
> >> disabling either of the other two.
> >
> > Noah was...
>
> I know, but I'm not Noah. :-)
>
> We have no evidence of the other settings causing any problems yet, so
> I see no reason to second-guess the decision to leave them on by
> default at this stage. Other people may disagree with that analysis,
> and that's fine, but my analysis is that the case for
> disable-by-default has been made for backend_flush_after but not the
> others. I also agree that backend_flush_after is much more dangerous
> on theoretical grounds; the checkpointer is in a good position to sort
> the requests to achieve locality, but backends are not.

Disabling just backend_flush_after by default works for me, so let's do that.
Though I would not elect, on behalf of PostgreSQL, the risk of enabling
{bgwriter,checkpoint,wal_writer}_flush_after by default, a reasonable person
may choose to do so. I doubt the community could acquire the data necessary
to ascertain which choice has more utility.