Re: Move PinBuffer and UnpinBuffer to atomics

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Alexander Korotkov <a(dot)korotkov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
Cc: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, YUriy Zhuravlev <u(dot)zhuravlev(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Move PinBuffer and UnpinBuffer to atomics
Date: 2016-04-11 21:40:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2016-04-11 12:17:20 -0700, Andres Freund wrote:
> On 2016-04-11 22:08:15 +0300, Alexander Korotkov wrote:
> > On Mon, Apr 11, 2016 at 5:04 PM, Alexander Korotkov <
> > a(dot)korotkov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru> wrote:

> > > Yes, I will try with these patches and snapshot too old reverted.
> > >

> > I've run the same benchmark with 279d86af and 848ef42b reverted. I've
> > tested of all 3 patches from you applied and, for comparison, 3 patches +
> > clog buffers reverted back to 32.
> >
> > clients patches patches + clog_32
> > 100 1326054 863066
> > 110 1446380 980206
> > 120 1484920 1000963
> > 130 1512440 1058852
> > 140 1536181 1088958
> > 150 1504750 1134354
> > 160 1461513 1132173
> > 170 1453943 1158656
> > 180 1426288 1120511

> Any chance that I could run some tests on that machine myself? It's very
> hard to investigate that kind of issue without access; the only thing I
> otherwise can do is lob patches at you, till we find the relevant
> memory.

I did get access to the machine (thanks!). My testing shows that
performance is sensitive to various parameters influencing memory
allocation. E.g. twiddling with max_connections changes
performance. With max_connections=400 and the previous patches applied I
get ~1220000 tps, with 402 ~1620000 tps. This sorta confirms that we're
dealing with an alignment/sharing related issue.

Padding PGXACT to a full cache-line seems to take care of the largest
part of the performance irregularity. I looked at perf profiles and saw
that most cache misses stem from there, and that the percentage (not
absolute amount!) changes between fast/slow settings.

To me it makes intuitive sense why you'd want PGXACTs to be on separate
cachelines - they're constantly dirtied via SnapshotResetXmin(). Indeed
making it immediately return propels performance up to 1720000, without
other changes. Additionally cacheline-padding PGXACT speeds things up to
1750000 tps.

But I'm unclear why the magnitude of the effect depends on other
allocations. With the previously posted patches allPgXact is always
cacheline-aligned.

Greetings,

Andres Freund