Re: IF (NOT) EXISTS in psql-completion

From: Kyotaro HORIGUCHI <horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: IF (NOT) EXISTS in psql-completion
Date: 2016-03-16 04:01:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello,

# It seems that I have been forgotten in the recepient list..

At Tue, 15 Mar 2016 22:09:59 -0400, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net> wrote in <56E8C077(dot)2000903(at)gmx(dot)net>
> On 2/5/16 3:09 AM, Kyotaro HORIGUCHI wrote:
> > I considered how to make tab-completion robust for syntactical
> > noises, in other words, optional words in syntax. Typically "IF
> > (NOT) EXISTS", UNIQUE and TEMPORARY are words that don't affect
> > further completion.
>
> To repeat the question I raised in the previous commit fest about tab
> completion: Why do you want tab completion for IF NOT EXISTS? When you
> tab complete, the completion mechanism will show you whether the item in
> question exists. What is the use case?

Ah, I think I understand you question. It's not about IF EXISTS,
but only IF NOT EXSTS. It is needed when repeated execution of
the same SQL statement will be done using command line
history. Such stocks of commands in history is often
convenient. And sometimes I rely on psql-completion to write a
SQL script. The completions for such words seemingly useless on
instant-execution will be handy to do that.

Another thing I want to do by this patch is that we can get
completion even after such optional words. I have been annoyed
many times by this. Some of them, such as UNIQUE, TEMPORARY and
CONCURRENTLY are treated but they just doubles the matching
condition expressions.

regards,

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi