Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Refactor to create generic WAL page read callback

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Refactor to create generic WAL page read callback
Date: 2016-03-14 16:40:57
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

Simon Riggs wrote:
> Refactor to create generic WAL page read callback
>
> Previously we didn’t have a generic WAL page read callback function,
> surprisingly. Logical decoding has logical_read_local_xlog_page(), which was
> actually generic, so move that to xlogfunc.c and rename to
> read_local_xlog_page().
> Maintain logical_read_local_xlog_page() so existing callers still work.

I wonder why we kept logical_read_local_xlog_page at all in this commit.
I vote for removing it completely and changing all existing code to use
the newer function. If some external module is already calling it for
some reason, surely they can simply add
#define logical_read_local_xlog_page(a,b,c) read_local_xlog_page(a,b,c)
in a compatibility shim.