Re: fun with "Ready for Committer" patches

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)postgresql(dot)org>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: fun with "Ready for Committer" patches
Date: 2016-03-09 21:19:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2016-03-10 06:14:25 +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
> IMO, during a review one needs to think of himself as a committer.
> Once the reviewer switches the patch to "Ready for committer", it
> means that the last version of the patch present would have been the
> version that gained the right to be pushed.

And one consideration there is whether you, as the committer, would be
ok with maintaining this feature going forward.

But I think for less experienced reviewers that's hard to judge; and I
think asking everyone to do that raises the barriers to do reviews
considerably. So I think we should somehow document that it's ok to
mark the patch as such, but that you're not forced to do that if you
don't want to.

Andres