Re: Novice Presentation and Company Project

From: Eduardo Morras <emorrasg(at)yahoo(dot)es>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Novice Presentation and Company Project
Date: 2016-03-09 09:25:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 9 Mar 2016 00:06:43 -0500
Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 03, 2016 at 12:04:56PM +0100, Eduardo Morras wrote:
> > My company is developing code for Postgresql for another company
> > and want to communicate, debate and share the results with the
> > community.
> >
> > The objetives are upgrade the network backend and frontend of
> > Postgresql:
> >
> > a) Add support for LibreSSL in it 2 flavors, OpenSSL compatibility
> > mode and own API, b) Add support for sctp protocol,
> > c) Add support for dtls with LibreSSL, with udp/udplite and sctp
> > datagrams, d) Add support to them in makefiles/configure and
> > postgresql configuration.
> >
> > I have read the FAQ entry [1] and company contributions document
> > [2] and as first step I had search Postgresql mailinglists for
> > similar topics and found nothing. I think this is the second step,
> > share the plan. If you need more information on any topic or has
> > more ideas or howtos or.. reply mail.
>
> Thanks for sharing these goals, which was an ideal first step. I
> think your next step is to pick a self-contained subset of those
> goals to implement as a first project. Then, start a thread
> describing a planned design for that particular subset. I recommend
> starting either with support for the OpenSSL compatibility mode of
> LibreSSL or with SCTP.

Compile with OpenSSL compatibility mode of LibreSSL is a makefile change, not code. Under FreeBSD 10, it's a two line on port configuration and passes all postgresql tests.

> When you send a design proposal for SCTP support, please explain why
> a person should choose to reach PostgreSQL over SCTP in lieu of TCP.
> The topic of SCTP support in PostgreSQL has never come up before.

Oks, as a fast hack and preface, SCTP has a tcp compatibility code mode, changing the socket call to 'socket(AF_INET, SOCK_STREAM, and IPPROTO_SCTP)' in frontend and backend code, uses some of the sctp features (multihoming, 4way handshake) but not others (multistreaming, only one message per stream, like tcp). SCTP is in Linux 2.4+, FreeBSD7+ and other UNIX systems.

Both patchhacks are easy, but I'm still fighting with autotools and studying postgresql developer howtos.

> nm
> --

--- ---
Eduardo Morras <emorrasg(at)yahoo(dot)es>