Re: Novice Presentation and Company Project

From: Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>
To: Eduardo Morras <emorrasg(at)yahoo(dot)es>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Novice Presentation and Company Project
Date: 2016-03-09 05:06:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Mar 03, 2016 at 12:04:56PM +0100, Eduardo Morras wrote:
> My company is developing code for Postgresql for another company and want to communicate, debate and share the results with the community.
>
> The objetives are upgrade the network backend and frontend of Postgresql:
>
> a) Add support for LibreSSL in it 2 flavors, OpenSSL compatibility mode and own API,
> b) Add support for sctp protocol,
> c) Add support for dtls with LibreSSL, with udp/udplite and sctp datagrams,
> d) Add support to them in makefiles/configure and postgresql configuration.
>
> I have read the FAQ entry [1] and company contributions document [2] and as first step I had search Postgresql mailinglists for similar topics and found nothing. I think this is the second step, share the plan. If you need more information on any topic or has more ideas or howtos or.. reply mail.

Thanks for sharing these goals, which was an ideal first step. I think your
next step is to pick a self-contained subset of those goals to implement as a
first project. Then, start a thread describing a planned design for that
particular subset. I recommend starting either with support for the OpenSSL
compatibility mode of LibreSSL or with SCTP.

When you send a design proposal for SCTP support, please explain why a person
should choose to reach PostgreSQL over SCTP in lieu of TCP. The topic of SCTP
support in PostgreSQL has never come up before.

nm