Re: silent data loss with ext4 / all current versions

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: silent data loss with ext4 / all current versions
Date: 2016-03-08 03:18:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On 2016-03-08 12:01:18 +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
> I have spent a couple of hours looking at that in details, and the
> patch is neat.

Cool. Doing some more polishing right now. Will be back with an updated
version soonish.

Did you do some testing?

> + * This routine ensures that, after returning, the effect of renaming file
> + * persists in case of a crash. A crash while this routine is running will
> + * leave you with either the old, or the new file.

> "you" is not really Postgres-like, "the server" or "the backend" perhaps?

Hm. I think your alternative proposals are more awkward.

> + /* XXX: perform close() before? might be outside a
> transaction. Consider errno! */
> ereport(elevel,
> (errcode_for_file_access(),
> errmsg("could not fsync file \"%s\": %m", fname)));
> + (void) CloseTransientFile(fd);
> + return -1;
> close() should be called before. slot.c for example does so and we
> don't want to link an fd here in case of elevel >= ERROR.

Note that the transient file machinery will normally prevent fd leakage
- but it can only do so if called in a transaction context. I've added
int save_errno;

/* close file upon error, might not be in transaction context */
save_errno = errno;
CloseTransientFile(fd);
errno = save_errno;
stanzas.

> + * It does so by using fsync on the sourcefile before the rename, and the
> + * target file and directory after.

> fsync is issued as well on the target file if it exists. I think
> that's worth mentioning in the header.

Ok.

> + /* XXX: Add racy file existence check? */
> + if (rename(oldfile, newfile) < 0)

> I am not sure we should worry about that, what do you think could
> cause the old file from going missing all of a sudden. Other backend
> processes are not playing with it in the code paths where this routine
> is called. Perhaps adding a comment in the header to let users know
> that would help?

What I'm thinking of is adding a check whether the *target* file already
exists, and error out in that case. Just like the link() based path
normally does.

> Instead of "durable" I think that "persistent" makes more sense.

I find durable a lot more descriptive. persistent could refer to
retrying the rename or something.

> We
> want to make those renames persistent on disk on case of a crash. So I
> would suggest the following routine names:
> - rename_persistent
> - rename_or_link_persistent
> Having the verb first also helps identifying that this is a
> system-level, rename()-like, routine.

I prefer the current names.

> > I sure wish we had the recovery testing et al. in all the back
> > branches...
>
> Sure, what we have now is something that should really be backpatched,
> I was just waiting to have all the existing stability issues
> addressed, the last one on my agenda being the failure of hamster for
> test 005 I mentioned in another thread before sending patches for
> other branches. I proposed a couple of potential regarding that
> actually, see here:
> http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAB7nPqSAZ9HnUcMoUa30JO2wJ8MnREm18p2a7McRA-ZrJxj3Vw@mail.gmail.com

Yea. Will be an interesting discussion... Anyway, I did run the patch
through the existing checks, after enabling fsync in PostgresNode.pm.

Greetings,

Andres Freund