Re: dealing with extension dependencies that aren't quite 'e'

From: Abhijit Menon-Sen <ams(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Jim Nasby <Jim(dot)Nasby(at)BlueTreble(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: dealing with extension dependencies that aren't quite 'e'
Date: 2016-03-01 04:33:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

At 2016-02-29 19:56:07 -0600, Jim(dot)Nasby(at)BlueTreble(dot)com wrote:

> I don't see why this would be limited to just functions. […] Am I
> missing something?

No, you are not missing anything. The specific problem I was trying to
solve involved a function, so I sketched out a solution for functions.
Once we have some consensus on whether that's an acceptable approach,
I'll extend the patch in whatever way we agree seems appropriate.

> Maybe the better way to handle this would be through ALTER EXTENSION?

That's what this (second) patch does.

> Given the audience for this, I think it'd probably be OK to just
> provide a function that does this, instead of DDL.

That seems like a promising idea. Can you suggest some possible usage?
Thanks.

-- Abhijit