Re: pg_conversion seems rather strangely defined

From: Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us
Cc: noah(at)leadboat(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_conversion seems rather strangely defined
Date: 2016-01-08 03:57:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> It would only be important to be able to do it like that if different
> users of the same database had conflicting ideas about what was the
> correct conversion between client and database encodings. I submit
> that that's somewhere around epsilon probability, considering we have
> not even heard of anyone replacing the system conversions at all.

I used to had a customer who needs to have different client and
database encoding than the default. That is, a slightly different
mapping between Shift-JIS and other database encoding. Due to
unfortunate historical reasons, there are several Shift-JIS variants
(in addition to the standard defined by government, there are IBM, NEC
and Microsoft versions). This is the reason why I wanted to have the
functionality at that time. I'm not sure the customer still uses the
functionality, but it is possible that there are other users who have
similar use cases, since the Shift-JIS variants are still used.

Best regards,
--
Tatsuo Ishii
SRA OSS, Inc. Japan