Re: New ALTER OPERATOR command fails to update dependencies

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: New ALTER OPERATOR command fails to update dependencies
Date: 2015-12-31 18:02:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> I noticed $subject while chasing a different issue.
>
> The way to fix this is to export pg_operator.c's makeOperatorDependencies
> function so that AlterOperator can call it. But since that declaration
> uses HeapTuple, I doubt we want to put it into pg_operator.h (which'd
> require further growth in that file's include list, and possibly break
> client-side code that wants to #include it). I'm inclined to split out
> pg_operator.h's function declarations into a new header pg_operator_fn.h,
> as we've already done in related cases.

Hmm, yeah, pg_operator.h defines a lot of operator OIDs. I think
including htup.h wouldn't be terribly problematic nowadays, actually.
But I can get behind a plan to move CreateOperator to the new file as
well, and get rid of objectaddress.h and pglist.h from pg_operator.h.

> While this isn't exactly a stop-ship class of problem, it still seems like
> it'd be good to fix before 9.5.0.

I wonder if a note to packagers to inform them of the new file added
after the RC would be a good idea.