Re: Patch: Implement failover on libpq connect level.

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Patch: Implement failover on libpq connect level.
Date: 2015-11-06 15:38:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-jdbc

Craig Ringer wrote:
> On 6 November 2015 at 13:34, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>
> >> But some options control how
> >> next host should be choosen (i.e. use random order for load-balancing
> >> or sequential order for high availability), so they should be specified
> >> only once per connect string.
> >
> > But this seems like a point worthy of consideration.
>
> This makes me think that trying to wedge this into the current API
> using a funky connection string format might be a mistake.
>
> Lots of these issues would go away if you could provide more than just
> a connstring.

Yes, I agree. I wonder if the failover aspect couldn't be better
covered by something more powerful than a single URI, such as the
service file format. Maybe just allow the contents of a service file to
be passed as a "connection string", so that the application/environment
can continue to maintain the connection info as a string somewhere
instead of having to have an actual file.