Re: No Issue Tracker - Say it Ain't So!

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Oleg Bartunov <obartunov(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Steve Crawford <scrawford(at)pinpointresearch(dot)com>, David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, Jim Nasby <Jim(dot)Nasby(at)bluetreble(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, YUriy Zhuravlev <u(dot)zhuravlev(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, Pgsql Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: No Issue Tracker - Say it Ain't So!
Date: 2015-09-29 20:46:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Oleg Bartunov wrote:

> me too, but I have to mention one problem we should have in mind - it's
> independency from political games (sanctions). Think about developers from
> Russia, who one day may be blocked by Github, for example.

That's a very good point. I think Github and other sites are already
blocked in countries like India and Cuba. This becomes more pressing as
commercial entities are formed in countries like Russia. Surely we do
not want PostgresPro developers to be unable to interact with our
bugtracker ...

We've done an excellent job of keeping our servers far away from any
individual jurisdictions, going back many years ago when Marc Fournier
decided to host our stuff in Panama for precisely this reason. Nowadays
for us it is reasonably simple to move stuff around in case there's
trouble in any particular country. I have a very hard time believing we
would tie ourselves down for a bug tracker; hosting whatever in our own
infrastructure is probably the only reasonable option for us at this
point. As Tom said, lesser projects cannot afford this luxury, but
we're not giving that away in a jiffy.

IANAL