Re: [DOCS] Missing COMMENT ON POLICY

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Charles Clavadetscher <clavadetscher(at)swisspug(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [DOCS] Missing COMMENT ON POLICY
Date: 2015-09-13 14:56:05
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-hackers

Charles,

* Charles Clavadetscher (clavadetscher(at)swisspug(dot)org) wrote:
> I noticed that the position of the parameter "policy_name" in the
> description list of parameters was not at the (alphabetically)
> correct position. I changed that and the result is attached.

Thanks!

> I think/hope that is now all correct.

We generally prefer one complete patch which represents the total set
of changes to a lot of individual little patches which build on each
other.

If you're using git and have these patches on a branch as different
commits, you can do an interactive rebase to squash them all together,
like this:

git rebase -i

That will open an editor and then you can choose the action to take for
each patch. Generally, I'll make the first patch 'reword' and the
rest 'squash'. Saving and exiting the editor will then take you to
another editor session where you'll have an opportunity to reword the
commit message (to incorporate all of the changes).

Once all of that's done, you can use 'git format-patch' to create a file
which includes the commit message and the patch. I generally run it
like so:

git format-patch @{u} --stdout > ~/patches/filename-for-patch.patch

Hopefully that helps.

Thanks!