Re: Pg_upgrade remote copy

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: AI Rumman <rummandba(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Pg_upgrade remote copy
Date: 2015-08-29 18:28:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Aug 28, 2015 at 10:34:38PM -0700, AI Rumman wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In pg_upgrade, how about adding a feature to copy data directory over network.
> That is, we can run pg_upgrade from our new host, where old host will be a
> remote machine.
> We can add two parameters - oldhost and if it is used, pg_upgrade will identify
> the old host as remote and instead of local copy, it will use remote copy.
>
> What do you think about it?

Well, you could NFS-mount the remote directory and have it work that
way. One complexity is that you need to start/stop the old and new
servers, so doing something without NFS is going to be vary hard.

I think it is much simpler to just copy the old clsuter to the remote
server and run pg_upgrade in --link mode on the remote server.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com

+ Everyone has their own god. +