Re: The purpose of the core team

From: Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: The purpose of the core team
Date: 2015-06-12 04:48:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Jun 11, 2015 at 03:47:06PM -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > http://www.postgresql.org/developer/core/

> After going over this a few times, there is one thing that strikes me
> that nobody has mentioned: the list of tasks mentioned there has one
> that's completely unlike the others. These are related to human
> relations:
>
> Acting as a conduit for confidential communication.
> Making policy announcements.
> Managing permissions for commits, infrastructure, etc.
> Handling disciplinary issues.
> Making difficult decisions when consensus is lacking.
>
> while this one is highly technical:
> Coordinating release activities.

Quite so. Deciding "it's time for a release" requires the same knowledge and
skills as deciding "it's time to commit patch P", yet we have a special-case
decision procedure. A release does require people acting in concert for a
span of a few days, but that precise scheduling is work for an administrative
assistant, not work befitting -core.

> It seems that only this last one is where most people seem to have a
> problem. I wonder if it makes sense to create a separate group that
> handles release activites -- the "release team."

I think the decision to initiate or revoke release scheduling belongs in the
same forum as patch development, usually -hackers or -security. We'd need to
pick a way to clearly signal the discussion's conclusion, analogous to how a
pushed commit unambiguously disposes a patch proposal. The balance of
coordinating release activities is mechanical, and -packagers seems adequate
for it.