Re: The purpose of the core team

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: The purpose of the core team
Date: 2015-06-11 18:47:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Bruce Momjian wrote:
> There has been some confusion by old and new community members about the
> purpose of the core team, and this lack of understanding has caused some
> avoidable problems. Therefore, the core team has written a core charter
> and published it on our website:
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/developer/core/
>
> Hopefully this will be helpful to people.

After going over this a few times, there is one thing that strikes me
that nobody has mentioned: the list of tasks mentioned there has one
that's completely unlike the others. These are related to human
relations:

Acting as a conduit for confidential communication.
Making policy announcements.
Managing permissions for commits, infrastructure, etc.
Handling disciplinary issues.
Making difficult decisions when consensus is lacking.

while this one is highly technical:
Coordinating release activities.

It seems that only this last one is where most people seem to have a
problem. I wonder if it makes sense to create a separate group that
handles release activites -- the "release team."