Re: [CORE] postpone next week's release

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-core <pgsql-core(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [CORE] postpone next week's release
Date: 2015-05-29 21:04:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2015-05-29 16:37:00 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> Well, maybe we ought to call it an alpha not a beta, but I think we ought
> to put out some kind of release that we can encourage people to test.

I also do think it's important that we put out a beta (or alpha)
relatively soon. Both because we actually need input to find out what
works and what doesn't and also because it pushes us to tie up loose
ends.

A beta with open items isn't that bad a thing? There's many bigger
projects doing 4-8 betas releases before a major one; and most of them
have open items at the indvidual beta's release times.

I think we should define/document it so that there's no hard goal of
being compatible for beta releases and that the compatibility goal
starts with the first release candidate, and not the betas.