Re: Fwd: [GENERAL] 4B row limit for CLOB tables

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Álvaro Hernández Tortosa <aht(at)8Kdata(dot)com>
Cc: Jim Nasby <Jim(dot)Nasby(at)BlueTreble(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Fwd: [GENERAL] 4B row limit for CLOB tables
Date: 2015-04-26 18:16:31
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

* Álvaro Hernández Tortosa (aht(at)8Kdata(dot)com) wrote:
> It's worth document but also, as I said, maybe also fixing them,
> so that if three years from now they really show up, solution is
> already in production (rather than in patching state).

With the proliferation of JSON usage in PG thanks to jsonb, I'd count us
lucky if we don't get complaints about this in the next three years.

I don't expect to have time to work on it in the near future,
unfortunately, but Robert's thoughts on supporting a new TOAST pointer
structure (with a way to support what's currently there, to avoid an
on-disk break) seems like a good starting point to me.

Thanks!

Stephen