Re: Sloppy SSPI error reporting code

From: Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: Sloppy SSPI error reporting code
Date: 2015-04-02 05:44:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Apr 01, 2015 at 10:49:01PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 10, 2015 at 02:53:13PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> > While looking at fe-auth.c I noticed quite a few places that weren't
> > bothering to make error messages localizable (ie, missing libpq_gettext
> > calls), and/or were failing to add a trailing newline as expected in
> > libpq error messages. Perhaps these are intentional but I doubt it.
> > Most of the instances seemed to be SSPI-related.
> >
> > I have no intention of fixing these myself, but whoever committed that
> > code should take a second look.
>
> I looked through that file and only found two cases; patch attached.

Tom mentioned newline omissions, which you'll find in pg_SSPI_error().

> ! printfPQExpBuffer(&conn->errorMessage, libpq_gettext("SSPI returned invalid number of output buffers\n"));
> ! libpq_gettext("fe_sendauth: error sending password authentication\n"));

The first message is too internals-focused for a translation to be useful. If
it were in the backend, we would use elog() and not translate. The second is
a non-actionable message painting over a wide range of specific failures;
translating it would just put lipstick on the pig.