Re: WIP: multivariate statistics / proof of concept

From: Kyotaro HORIGUCHI <horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: WIP: multivariate statistics / proof of concept
Date: 2015-03-24 05:34:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello,

> > Patch 0001 needs changes for OIDs since my patch was
> > committed. The attached is compatible with current master.
>
> Thanks. I plan to submit a new version of the patch in a few days, with
> significant progress in various directions. I'll have to rebase to
> current master before submitting the new version anyway (which includes
> fixing duplicate OIDs).
>
> > And I tried this like this, and got the following error on
> > analyze. But unfortunately I don't have enough time to
> > investigate it now.
> >
> > postgres=# create table t1 (a int, b int, c int);
> > insert into t1 (select a/ 10000, a / 10000, a / 10000 from
> > generate_series(0, 99999) a);
> > postgres=# analyze t1;
> > ERROR: invalid memory alloc request size 1485176862
>
> Interesting - particularly because this does not involve any
> multivariate stats. I can't reproduce it with the current version of the
> patch, so either it's unrelated, or I've fixed it since posting the last
> version.

Sorry, not shown above, the *previous* t1 had been done "alter
table t1 add statistics (a, b, c)". Removing t1 didn't remove the
setting. reiniting cluster let me do that without error.

The steps throughout was as following.
===
create table t1 (a int, b int, c int);
alter table t1 add statistics (histogram) on (a, b, c);
drop table t1; -- This does not remove the above setting.
create table t1 (a int, b int, c int);
insert into t1 (select a/ 10000, a / 10000, a / 10000 from generate_series(0, 99999) a);insert into t1 ...
regards,
--
Kyotaro Horiguchi
NTT Open Source Software Center