Re: High Availability Cluster

From: Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: sameer(dot)kumar(at)ashnik(dot)com
Cc: mfatticcioni(at)mbigroup(dot)it, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: High Availability Cluster
Date: 2014-12-04 04:32:32
Lists: pgsql-general

> On Thu, Nov 27, 2014 at 7:26 PM, Maila Fatticcioni <mfatticcioni(at)mbigroup(dot)it
>> wrote:
>
>> I was wondering if there is another way to set up a complete cluster
>> that would manage in case of failure:
>>
>> * the relocation of the VIP (virtual ip address)
>> * the relocation of the main instance of Postgresql
>>

> ​Consider trying pgpool. It has an HA mode (and I think the latest version
> works using a heartbeat, the older one uses watchdog).

No. Just the implementation of watchdog has been changed (more
precisely new life check mode added). In recent versions (since 3.3)
it uses UDP packet for life check of pgpool, which is pretty much
similar to heartbeat.

> If you are up for a commercial product, you may want to consider using
> something like EnterpriseDB's failover manager.

Commercial support for pgpool-II is provided by the way.

Best regards,
--
Tatsuo Ishii
SRA OSS, Inc. Japan