Re: proposal (9.5) : psql unicode border line styles

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tomas Vondra <tv(at)fuzzy(dot)cz>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: proposal (9.5) : psql unicode border line styles
Date: 2014-09-08 02:44:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Pavel,

* Pavel Stehule (pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com) wrote:
> > OK, thanks. The new version seems OK to me.
>
> Thank you

I've started looking over the patch and went back through the previous
thread about it. For my part, I'm in favor of adding this capability,
but I'm not terribly happy about how it was done. In particular,
get_line_style() seems pretty badly hacked around, and I don't really
like having the prepare_unicode_format call underneath it allocating
memory and then passing back up the need to free that memory via a new
field in the structure. Also, on a quick glance, are you sure that the
new 'unicode' output matches the same as the old 'unicode' did (with
pg_utf8format)?

I would think we'd simply set up a structure which is updated when the
linestyle is changed, which is surely going to be much less frequently
than the request for which linestyle to use happens, and handle all of
the line styles in more-or-less the same way rather than doing something
completely different for unicode than for the others.

Thanks,

Stephen