Re: pgsql: Fix a couple of bugs in MultiXactId freezing

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgsql: Fix a couple of bugs in MultiXactId freezing
Date: 2013-12-03 15:37:58
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

On 2013-12-03 10:29:54 -0500, Noah Misch wrote:
> Sorry, my original report was rather terse. I speak of the scenario exercised
> by the second permutation in that isolationtester spec. The multixact is
> later than VACUUM's cutoff_multi, so 9.3.1 does not freeze it at all. 9.3.2
> does freeze it to InvalidTransactionId per the code I cited in my first
> response on this thread, which wrongly removes a key lock.

That one is clear, I was only confused about the Assert() you
reported. But I think I've explained that elsewhere.

I currently don't see fixing the errorneous freezing of lockers (not the
updater though) without changing the wal format or synchronously waiting
for all lockers to end. Which both see like a no-go?

While it's still a major bug it seems to still be much better than the
previous case of either inaccessible or reappearing rows.

Greetings,

Andres Freund