Re: Minmax indexes

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Jaime Casanova <jaime(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Minmax indexes
Date: 2013-09-24 22:14:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Jaime Casanova wrote:

> Found another problem with the this steps:
>
> create table t1 (i int);
> create index idx_t1_i on t1 using minmax(i);
> insert into t1 select generate_series(1, 2000000);
> ERROR: could not read block 1 in file "base/12645/16397_vm": read
> only 0 of 8192 bytes

Thanks. This was a trivial off-by-one bug; fixed in the attached patch.
While studying it, I noticed that I was also failing to notice extension
of the fork by another process. I have tried to fix that also in the
current patch, but I'm afraid that a fully robust solution for this will
involve having a cached fork size in the index's relcache entry -- just
like we have smgr_vm_nblocks. In fact, since the revmap fork is
currently reusing the VM forknum, I might even be able to use the same
variable to keep track of the fork size. But I don't really like this
bit of reusing the VM forknum for revmap, so I've refrained from
extending that assumption into further code for the time being.

There was also a bug that we would try to initialize a revmap page twice
during recovery, if two backends thought they needed to extend it; that
would cause the data written by the first extender to be lost.

This patch applies on top of the two previous incremental patches. I
will send a full patch later, including all those fixes and the fix for
the opr_sanity regression test.

Attachment Content-Type Size
minmax-4-incr.patch text/x-diff 5.8 KB